Waldinger, Steven E.
- Community Associations, Condos, HOAs & Co-ops
- Commercial and Residential Landlord/Tenant
- Civil Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
Steven E. Waldinger joined the firm in 1988, became a partner in 1998 and leads the firm's litigation practice area. He is a civil litigator adept at representing individuals and businesses alike. In addition to his commercial, landlord-tenant, and real estate litigation practice, he has developed a unique niche advising and, where necessary, litigating on behalf of condominiums, homeowners’ associations and cooperatives throughout Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Dutchess and Orange Counties. Over the course of more than thirty years, Mr. Waldinger has represented in excess of 100 boards in the region.
Mr. Waldinger utilizes his civil litigation skills in connection with the firm’s well-established practice area of representing community association boards. His experience includes advising boards on the myriad issues that arise in community living and litigating such basic actions as the collection of outstanding common charges and foreclosures of liens, suits against unit owners, homeowners, and shareholders to enforce bylaws and rules and regulations, as well as complex actions against developers arising from faulty construction. His article, “Representing the Board in Condominium Foreclosure Actions”, published in the New York Law Journal on September 20, 1994 transformed the manner in which many attorneys represent condominiums in foreclosure actions. He is also a frequent speaker, advising boards and managing agents on practical, cost-effective collection techniques; among other topics.
Mr. Waldinger also continues to litigate commercial and residential real estate disputes, including commercial and residential eviction proceedings. Further, having experience in the defense of complex medical malpractice actions, he continues to take on substantial plaintiffs’ medical malpractice and personal injury actions.
Mr. Waldinger is an active participant in the northern Westchester County community in which he works and resides. He is a recent past Trustee of Manhattanville College and currently serves on the Board of Directors of Ridgefield Conservatory of Dance. He is also the President of the Somers Holocaust Memorial Commission, an organization dedicated to educating students on the holocaust, genocide and human rights issues.
He has served on and been Chairman of the Town of Somers Zoning Board of Appeals, been a lay member of the Northern Westchester Hospital Institutional Review Board, is a Past President of the Northern Westchester Bar Association, and served as a member of the Manhattanville College Alumni Board. Mr. Waldinger is serving the Westchester County Bar Association as a member of its Nominating Committee and is presently on the Board of The Legal Aid Society of Westchester County.
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1987
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Kaplun Foundation Award for Consumer Law
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Awards for Real Property, Civil Procedure and Torts
- Honors: New York Law School Merit Scholar
- Manhattanville College, Purchase, New York
- B.A. - 1985
- Major: Economics
- Connecticut, 1987
- New York, 1988
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1988
- Community Associations Institute, Member
- Community Associations Institute, Hudson Valley Chapter, Member
- Westchester County, NY State and American Bar Associations, Member
- Northern Westchester Bar Association, Member
- Northern Westchester Bar Association, Past President, 2000 to 2001
Current Employment Position
- Kelley Drye & Warren, Associate, 1987 to 1988
- President, Somers Holocaust Memorial Commission, 2010 to Present
- President, Northern Westchester County Bar Association, 2000 to 2001
- Community Representative, Northern Westchester Hospital Institutional Review Board, 2001 to 2011
- Chairman, Town of Somers Zoning Board of Appeals, 1998 to 2005
- Ridgefield Conservatory of Dance, Board of Directors
- Manhattanville College, Board of Trustees
- Board Member, The Legal Aid Society of Westchester County
Classes & Seminars
- How to Get Blood From a Stone, Representing Boards in Collection Actions, Community Associations Institute, Hudson Valley Chapter
Honors and Awards
- Recognized as a SuperLawyer every year from 2014 through 2022